Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Canadian Red I say can beat a first growth Bordeaux


I've talked about the need for Canadian wineries to be innovative so that they can compete in niche markets with value added products. On a recent trip to Niagara we stopped by Creekside winery to do some tastings. I picked up 2 bottles of 2004 Lost Barrel Red.
In 2000 two winemakers, had an anomalous idea. What kind of wine could be made from saving the "tippings" ( left over solids from grapes and yeast) left in the best barrels of red wine. They got a barrel and made it happen. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the barrel got neglected for eight months. When they found it, the resulting wine proved to be rich and complex. The experiment was repeated the following year under tight control and the result was the same. Thus was born Lost Barrel Red.
I found a slight iodine like trace on the nose for a moment but then notes of dark fruit on damp earth come to bear.
The palate explodes with dark fruit and some oak. There is some fine tannin rising on the mid palate but it decends towards the back. The dark fruit stays right through right to the end with a silky smooth finish.
The intensity of the fruit gives a power to the wine. It reminded me of my Magnotta Millenium which has matured and you can taste the result of the abated tannins.
The wine is made from six different varietals Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Malbec
I've never tasted a first growth Bordeaux red but I have tasted a red that beat it in a blind tasting (Magnotta Millenium).
It's this that came to mind after having a bottle of Lost Barrel. I would give this the edge over Millenium especially since I am a sensitive taster. This is the best Canadian Red I've ever had.
Click the title of this entry if you want to check it out
Rating 93

No comments: