Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Welch's Grape Juice with a Kick

In early August we took a weekend venture to London Ontario and during that visit we took a side trip to Quai Du Vin Estate Winery in Elgin County, south of St Thomas. I wanted to get some inside footage to complete a segment I had shot several summers ago.
We tasted their Chardonnay and Riesling and we ordered some but what I want to talk about is their Concord wine. I have always been told that Concord grapes are fine for grape juice but not for making wine.
This varietal is native North American and is able to withstand the very cold winters that occur here and like all labrusca grapes the wines were terrible.
Well I got a big surprise. It was absolutely delicious. It was fruity as in grapey and semi sweet and had enough acidity to make it refreshing. It had 11% alcohol but I did not detect any heat.
It is not a table wine as the label says but it really is a wine cooler product as far as I'm concerned. Your not going to find complexity on the nose or the palate but to put it in a glass full of ice and then sip it on your back yard patio during a hot humid summer day is the ideal way to drink this.
Gary Vaynerchuk has said that if you want fruit juice then buy HI C , it is a hell of lot cheaper. I don't accept that concept, because although fruit juice is a lot cheaper, it isn't nearly as much fun.
The 6 bottles I purchased are now used up. If your near the winery check it out.
I have done a video tour of Quai Du Vin Estate Winery. You can check it out at the Wine Dining Vlog or Wine Dining Channel. The links are on the side
Click the title of this entry to get the winery's website

No comments: