Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Tawes Winery Niagara Peninsula

I'm reposting an article I wrote in 2006. Most of the facts are still applicable.

Tawse Winery On our most recent visit to Niagara we toured 8 wineries, (which will be featured in the future) but we came across Tawse Winery during our tour and decided to check it out even though it didn't look open. What we found was a very high tech state-of-the-art, gravity based production facility with a staff that went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I hadn't expected to take any pictures but when we toured the facility and with the encoutagement of the tour staff I rushed out to the car to get my cameras. I spent a considerable amount of time going around the facility filming and taking pictures. The patience and courtesy the staff showed me is greatly appreciated and this feature is an expression of that appreciation.

The winery is named after the owner Moray Tawse which opened in the spring of 2005. It is situated on the hillside terain of the Niagara Bench in Vineland.

To take advantage of the locale the winery utilizes a six-level, gravity-fed system to process the harvest. Piping is also laid underground to store the heat accumulated from the soil and is used to generate power for the winery's use.

All in all I was very pleased with the Tawse winery and especially the staff that were very friendly and accomodating. If your in the area drop by but check with the winery for opening hours. They may have changed from the time of our visit.

I do have one negative thing I should mention though, the winery charged five dollars for tasting which was not credited when we bought their wine, Ouch!. I hope the owners decide to change this policy because the wines are not inexpensive (they are produced for premium quality) and I think that may dampen some consumers enthusiasm to purchase.

Click the title to go to the winery's website

No comments: